Friday, June 27, 2008

Letting Go

Hello again. I have decided to cut back on my work with Oakbox Productions and have been focusing on my 'normal' job and spending time with the family doing family things. This gives me lots of time to think, time that was wrapped up in programming and system design is now available for contemplation and reverie.

And I keep coming back to the whole God issue. Many of the books mentioned in my last post talk at length about the inconsistencies in the bible. So, I thought it would be a good idea for me to look them up for myself. It seemed silly to take the word of atheists on faith. Ha!

My first hurdle was something simple and obvious, the genealogy of Jesus. There's not a lot that can go wrong there, right? I mean, this is central to Christianity as a whole. If your deity does not have the proper bloodline, then everything else fails. And it did.

Fail, I mean.

Matthew's genealogy:
abraham, isaac, jacob, judah, perez, hezron, aram, aminadab, nahshon, salmon, boaz, obed, jesse, david, solomon, rehoboam, abijah, asa, jehoshaphat, joram, uzziah, jotham, ahaz, hezekiah, manaseh, amon, josiah, jeconiah (coniah jehoiachin, shealtiel, zerubbabel, abiud, eliakim, azor, sadoc, achim, eliud, eleazar, matthan, jacob, joseph

Luke's genealogy:
abraham, isaac, jacob, judah, perez, hezron, arni, admin, aminadab, nahshon, salmon, boaz, obed, jesse, david, nathan, mattatha, menna, melea, eliakim, jonam, joseph, judah, simeon, levi, matthat, jorim, eliezer, jesus, er, elmadam, cosam, addi, melchi, neri, shealtiel, zerubbabel, rhesa, joanan, joda, josech, semein, mattathias, maath, naggai, esli, nahum, amos, mattathias, joseph, jannai, melchi, levi, matthat, heli, joseph

They agree on the first 6, the last 1, and there are a few other random matches interspersed in there.

Okay, some Googling led me to several common explanations for the discrepancies. Among these the Catholic explanation was quite entertaining: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06410a.htm

There are, in fact, lots of theories. But they are all crap unsatisfying. This is fundamental. There isn't an end-run around this issue. Hell, it's the very beginning of the new testament of a book that is supposedly infallible and perfect in every way. This doesn't even start the laundry list of other errors, contradictions, and outright falsehoods. This is just the most obvious one I thought I should check first.

So what now? What do atheists DO with themselves?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home