Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Marvin K. Mooney will you please go NOW.

My wife and I take turns putting our son, Derek, to bed. On her nights, she reads him a Dutch children's book, on my night, it's English. We both like Doctor Suess books. The whacked out artistry usually gives him something to focus on and my voice knocks him out in no time.
I thought that was pretty much it, pictures and the sound of my voice. We live in the Netherlands, there isn't a lot of English in his environment, just me and my family when we visit the states once a year. Today, my wife calls me at work and says, "Listen to this!".
She holds the phone out for Derek and he begins reading, "Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now." And reading it WELL. He's 5 years old, has a 30% hearing reduction (until the drains go in on the 11th this month, anyway), speaks Dutch all the time, and here he is rolling out a whole book over the phone.
I cried like a baby sitting there in my office. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing, I've lived in the US all my life and can barely speak good English.

Also, be sure to teach him to swear properly in english.

May 03, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger Oakbox said...

I'm sure that would go over well with my wife.

For my birthday, I asked for and received 4 more Seuss books from my parents.

May 21, 2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger Stealth said...

Richard, TAF was the only record of my art. Please tell me what happened to it.

-Melanie Van Winkle

I want my art pictures back.

July 01, 2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger Oakbox said...

I wanted to tell Melanie that I FOUND her images, but there is apparently no way to email her :(

So, Melanie, if you are tracking this after 10 months have passed, I need an email address!

February 23, 2007 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home